Wow, what a year! I’m so glad that i finally discovered this ‘blogging’ thing and made myself actually start doing it. I’ve met some wonderful people and can’t wait to get to know them and others better next year! I keep seeing this End of Year Book Survey popping up all over the place and decided that it was definitely something i wanted to take part in so went over to Jamie’s site, The Perpetual Page Turner, and have a look. (She’s hosting) It’s such a nice way to sum up what i’ve read this year and the new discoveries that have been made. Also i want to apologise in advance because there is probably lots of things that i’ll miss off of this list by accident. (All buttons and banners in this post are made my Jamie)
1. Best Book You Read In 2013? (If you have to cheat — you can break it down by genre if you want or 2013 release vs. backlist)
Ok, this is definitely a hard one. I’ve read so many books that i’ve loved this year! If i had to pick just one i would have to say:
I just haven’t been able to stop thinking about that book and i cannot wait to read Unhinged.
2. Book You Were Excited About & Thought You Were Going To Love More But Didn’t?
Again a tough one, i’m just going based off of my reviews here but it would have to be
I was so looking forward to reading this book and the plot seemed like it was going to be really interesting. However it just didn’t really work for me and it was a sad time.
3. Most surprising (in a good way!) book of 2013?
This definitely has to go to:
I requested the book from Netgalley because the cover was really pretty and the plot sounded okish but nothing that special. Boy, was i wrong. I absolutely loved this book and was very happily surprised 🙂
4. Book you read in 2013 that you recommended to people most in 2013?
There were a few books this year that i recommended to a lot of people but the most would have to go to:
I loved this book and still need to read World After!
5. Best series you discovered in 2013?
The only series that i read more than one book from this year was Julie Kagawa’s The Iron Fey: Call of the Forgotten. I really, really enjoyed this series though and can’t wait for the next book to be released next year 🙂
6. Favorite new author you discovered in 2013?
So difficult, there are so many that i really enjoyed this year! If i could only pick one it would have to be: Sarah J. Maas, i just loved Throne of Glass and cannot wait to read Crown of Midnight!
7. Best book that was out of your comfort zone or was a new genre for you?
Ummm, this is definitely something i need to improve on next year. The only book that i can think of that was really out of my comfort zone was: I Heart Christmas by Lindsey Kelk, however the book was slightly disappointing. I need to learn to read more books from other genre’s and enjoy them more next year!
8. Most thrilling, unputdownable book in 2013?
I really, really enjoyed
9. Book You Read In 2013 That You Are Most Likely To Re-Read Next Year?
(and probably Angelfall and Splintered and The Selection and Legend…i should stop)
10. Favorite cover of a book you read in 2013?
I mean look at that cover! It’s gorgeous 🙂
11. Most memorable character in 2013?
Someone who will probably get a lot of mentions on this survey:
Morpheus from Splintered!
12. Most beautifully written book read in 2013?
There were so many books that i read that were wonderfully written this year, but my winner is:
I loved everything about the way the book was written and cannot wait to read more from Sarah!
13. Book that had the greatest impact on you in 2013?
This is another that may be mentioned numerous times but:
As a scientist it’s definitely interesting to see people’s perception on where we may end up and the consequences that our ‘meddling’ may cause.
14. Book you can’t believe you waited UNTIL 2013 to finally read?
Angelfall came out in 2011! That’s years and years ago, i can’t believe i didn’t hunt it out sooner and devour it!
15. Favorite passage/quote from a book you read in 2013?
“We won’t be trespassing,” she said. “There’s not even a fence or anything.”
He pointed to a tree just beyond her head, an orange sign with the words NO Trespassing nailed to it’s trunk.” – Endless by Amanda Gray
16.Shortest & Longest Book You Read In 2013?
Shortest: The shortest book that i read this year (not counting novellas) was: Her Mad Hatter by Marie Hall (127 pages)
Longest: Stray by Rachael Vincent (611 pages)
17. Book That Had A Scene In It That Had You Reeling And Dying To Talk To Somebody About It? (a WTF moment, an epic revelation, a steamy kiss, etc. etc.) Be careful of spoilers!
So many of these! This is definitely why i’m planning on making lots more bookish friends next year (plus the fact that they are awesome people). Um, it would have to be in:
towards the end. If you’ve read it you know what i’m taking about!
18. Favorite Relationship From A Book You Read In 2013 (be it romantic, friendship, etc).
I really liked Raffe and Penryn’s relationship/friendship/non-friendship from Angelfall. It may seem like a strange one, and i can’t really explain it. But it’s definitely this one 🙂
19. Favorite Book You Read in 2013 From An Author You’ve Read Previously
20. Best Book You Read In 2013 That You Read Based SOLELY On A Recommendation From Somebody Else:
21. Genre You Read The Most From in 2013?
Fantasy/YA (also quite a few dystopians)
22. Newest fictional crush from a book you read in 2013?
This question is too hard, there are so many! My absolute favourite of this year though is: Morpheus from Splintered!
23. Best 2013 debut you read?
24. Most vivid world/imagery in a book you read in 2013?
25. Book That Was The Most Fun To Read in 2013?
Insanity by Cameron Jace – it just has to be an Alice in Wonderland retelling, so much fun to read and all over the place!
26. Book That Made You Cry Or Nearly Cry in 2013?
I’m not one to cry, however “Wither by Lauren DeStefano” has a couple of heart-breaking scene’s that i’m sure i succumbed to.
27. Book You Read in 2013 That You Think Got Overlooked This Year Or When It Came Out?
1. New favorite book blog you discovered in 2013?
There are so many great blogs out there that i’ve only just been able to start discovering, it’d be mean to single just one out! I’m planning on putting up a blogroll of blogs that i constantly follow to showcase the amazing talent out there!
2. Favorite review that you wrote in 2013?
It would probably have to be: “The Selection by Kiera Cass”
3. Best discussion you had on your blog?
Unfortunately I didn’t really have any discussions on my blog this year. That’s definitely something I’m planning to rectify for the New Year though!
4. Most thought-provoking review or discussion you read on somebody else’s blog?
Again i feel bad but didn’t really look all too much at discussion posts, this is something that will definitely change next year!
5. Best event that you participated in (author signings, festivals, virtual events, memes, etc.)?
I definitely want to participate in more events next year but this year it would have to be my first read-a-thon: Dreamy December Days Read-a-Thon. It was so much fun and i got a fair amount of reading done in the time frame 🙂
6. Best moment of book blogging/your book life in 2013?
Getting my first comment and releasing that other people didn’t hate what i was saying.
7. Most Popular Post This Year On Your Blog (whether it be by comments or views)?
My most popular posts this year based on views and comments are shown below:
Comments: Feature and Follow Friday (8) : What are Some of Your Favourite Magazines?
Views: Top Ten Tuesday (9) : Top Ten Sequels I Can’t Wait to Get My Hands On!
8. Post You Wished Got A Little More Love?
I don’t really mind, i’m just glad that people seem to have been reading some of them!
9. Best bookish discover (book related sites, book stores, etc.)?
Definitely Goodreads, without that i don’t know how i’d know half the stuff, or even which books look interesting.
10. Did you complete any reading challenges or goals that you had set for yourself at the beginning of this year?
I will have next year, but i was just hoping i’d stick with this to be honest. And yay that seems to have worked! I’m going to try even harder next year and hopefully improve lots and lots 🙂
1. One Book You Didn’t Get To In 2013 But Will Be Your Number 1 Priority in 2014?
There’s just so many… whoops, definitely didn’t do enough reading this year then! I’m going to have to say:
“Shatter Me by Tahereh Mafi”
It was a close call with Lauren Oliver’s Delirium, however after hearing that lots of people weren’t as keen on the last book it’s put me off a bit. Definitely will be reading both next year though.
2. Book You Are Most Anticipating For 2014 (non-debut)?
3. 2014 Debut You Are Most Anticipating?
4. Series Ending You Are Most Anticipating in 2014?
I cannot wait to see who America picks and the repercussions for her choice!
5. One Thing You Hope To Accomplish Or Do In Your Reading/Blogging In 2014?
I’m planning on posting a set of New Year Book Resolutions in the first few days of January. However if i was just to pick one now it would be to carry on blogging through the year and be as consistent as possible.
Thanks for reading,